Partner with the only Child Helpline in Kenya to SHINE A LIGHT on child abuse
- Every day more than 800 children and concerned adults call the Helpline 116 to report abuse and/or receive counseling.
- More than 2.6 million Kenyan children have been supported through the helpline since its inception in 2006
- A review of data collected through Helpline 116 reveals that 90% of abusers are people well known to the children….people they trust including family members, teachers, religious leaders, neighbors and domestic workers.
- A majority of Kenyans do not know the extent of child abuse in the country, or what to do in the instances it happens.
- Childline would like to change this situation.
Childline Kenya has therefore partnered with the Yetu Initiative, a project of the Aga Khan Foundation in partnership with USAID, to launch a campaign dubbed “Shine A Light ... because abuse isn’t obvious”. It aims to:
- Identify and educate Kenyans on the forms of abuse that may not always be obvious to society.
- Invoke the social consciousness of Kenyans and driving conversations about child protection and how each individual can help an abused child
- Create awareness of Childline Kenya & the services we provide in support of children in need.
- Invite the Kenyan public to help Childline Kenya “Shine A Light” on child abuse by donating to support the Helpline 116and shine a light to expose child abuse
Shine A Light is a call to arms for Kenyans to rally together to fight child abuse and to be a ray of hope to those in need.